A Bag of Bajan Bush

One of the highlights of living on an island for me is the fact that vegetation is always abundant. So abundant in fact that persons are always willing to share excess or sell at ridiculous prices just to be rid of produce. Such has been the case this week (and it's only Tuesday!).
I received a call from my sister Evelyn this weekend  and I kid you not these were her words," Merlene has a bag of bush for you, someone gave them to her and she figures you will appreciate it." Why thank you very much cousin Merlene, I surely do. And so this morning, my sister brought over this bag of Bajan bush packed with a lovely variety of cooking and medicinal herbs.





I wish you could smell my hands and kitchen right now....heavenly!

Wormwood ..so very green and such a intoxicating aroma

Mexican tarragon, not a favorite of mine due to its heavy licorice odour so some lucky person will receive this as a gift (maybe Ken)
Who does not love bayleaf? A Caribbean staple, this herb is delightful any which way although my preferred use is blended with lemongrass as a tea....yummm!







Yeah lemongrass too!





And big ole bunches of cinnamon basil...love!

Fennel

Rosemary...see those thick stems, that means I can easily replant for another plant of my own.

The "shake" ....bits of margoram, parsley, mint, chives and sage

No sooner had I sorted my  herbs,than I heard the usual cry of the fruit man, so out I ran to the verandah to inspect his bag of mangoes. Two minutes later look what's sitting on my counter....


Wanna guess how much I paid for this bowl of sweetness?
A ridiculous $5.00!

Don't we just love island life? Yes we do!
Until next time, eat well, live fully and laugh just because you can.





Comments

  1. I just love your blog gurl! Thanks fir keeping me rooted to my birthplace. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so very welcome, glad to feed your cultural memories...love you too..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for bush

Bush Tea

Breadfruit ...... So Many Ways