Ball Bush

Two weeks ago, my son developed a major sinus drip. The poor child has apparently inherited the health issues of my lactose intolerant, respiratorily-challenged (is that even a word?) family and had started that annoying snorting noise that all sinus suffers make and which I absolutely detest.
I hate to administer medicines (they call me Bush woman for a reason) but had to resort to over the counter meds to stave off any dripage into his lungs. Well, old Bajans have a saying,"God don't bring, but he sends" which kinda loosely translates as whatever your needs, they will be met from even unexpected sources, and such was the case with this situation.
I stepped out (Bajan parlance meaning I went out for a brief while on an errand!) and on my return I found my partner sitting in the verandah - a custom which many have relegated- but we still like to sit out and people watch, speak to the neighbours and exchange pleasantries with passers-by. Well, my partner was sitting out when a gentleman from the community passed and after the customary "how you doing, man?", his response was to mention that his sinuses had also been acting up and he had been under the weather for a while but thankfully, a lady gave him some bush and instructed him to chew a leaf and he was instantly better!
Needless to say my partner quickly inquired about the "bush" (herb) and discovered it to be one I had grown copious amounts of in the backyard. I was drawn to the plant by its balsamy odour which I immediately interpreted as being useful for respiratory issues, think Friar's Balsm and had planted a saplin gout back. So what is this bush?

\
Does it look familiar or bring back memories? It surely should. If bush were like US states, Ball Bush as we call it in Barbados would be Brooklyn, it is just everywhere!

Well, it used to be everywhere in my yard. I had cleared it all from my yard, deeming it a total nuisance as it really was very invasive. I chopped it all, then now I need it, it's dry season and I couldn't find it anywhere! I went walking with my trusted bag and scissors that same Sunday evening but alas came back empty-bagged. Until today!
My children know their bush and my daughter assured me she spotted some on the ride into St George, that green, lush, serene parish I love, and right she was. On the drive to my parents' house today I drove pass a field full of balsam bush. Check rearview mirror, park lights on and immediately sprang to action. The only indicator that this was not an intentional crop were the last struggling runners of recently dug yams.





You have no idea how many seeds are in that ball!!!








Needless to say, I took "nuff:(a lot) cuttings and uprooted a young sapling for my garden... again ....this time I'll be planting in a pot thank you very much.
What I also found interesting is the young plant's resemblance to nettle.
Officially called Leonotis nepetifolia ( Lion's ear) leaves are used in cigarette form across the globe for its euphoric effects/ The balls are dried and spray painted for floral arrangements, and the herb has many medicinal uses as well which you can check out here: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-medical-uses-of-leonotis-nepetifolia.htm.
In fact, I have seen prices as high as USD $13.86 per 20mg and $10.00 for a packet of seeds quoted on health sites!!!!
Will keep you posted in the effects of this bush. Hope you found this herb as interesting as I do!.
Be well!

Comments

  1. would be happy to send you a letter Emilio. I myself love to meet people and share with cultures all over the world. I will also be following your blog.
    Happy an great day and do look forward to my letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. I was checking around on different sites for the scientific name of this plant, and there is a Google book that has the wrong one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for bush

Bush Tea

Breadfruit ...... So Many Ways