Fritters

I hope the weather in your neck of the woods is sunny, because here in my tropical paradise we are having some serious rainy days. Now don't get the wrong impression, I love rain. I love rainy weather, maybe it's the chill in the air (well maybe not chill...lol) ....the coolness, the brisker breeze, the crisp freshness in the air.......they all make for very cozy feelings. You just want to laze around reading or watching movies and you want to nibble at food cuz, the only food you crave needs to fit into your hand on the bed or in a chair! This is why fritters are perfect rainy weather food. Especially what we Bajans call bakes. They make perfect sense on a rainy day. A few basic ingredients blend to produce a dense and filling food.

Perfect Bajan bakes......no baking powder.
There is flour, sugar and water as the base for Bajan bakes. With the simple addition of cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt, you end up with an unbelievably filling dish and, they are rather scrumptious. 
A few of these should hold you over until you feel like dragging yourself up to prepare a real meal :).

Next in line of popular Bajan fritters would definitely have to be our fish cakes. I'm not even sure if I should say next in line because, while I am unsure of anyone who retails bakes for a living, I sure know a man who makes a living selling fishcakes! Maybe it is next in line because even though fish cakes are extremely popular not every Bajan knows how to make them. While anyone can get up and whip up a few bakes, you must really know what you doing to make a fishcake that any true Bajan would want to eat. I consider myself a seasoned chef :) but I don't make fish cakes too often because quite frankly compared to other family members' mine pale in comparison! 
Perfect Bajan fish cakes
A careful concoction of salted cod fish (precooked and shredded), onions, scotch bonnet pepper, chives and other potherbs, water, baking powder and flour.
While these two are our traditional fritters ( there is an actual calypso called "Fishcakes and Bakes"),  I know as a child, fritters were a mainstay on our summer vacation lunch menu and they were many varieties, most of which seemed to incorporate vegetables. SO we eat spinach fritters, pumpkin fritters, marrow fritters (YUCK) and corn beef fritters (with corn beef from the can, not sliced meat). And in later years I would fritterize left over or excess foods such as bananas, sweet potatoes and sweet corn, zuchinni....anything. Here are a few starting with my least favourite....
here's a hint (YUCK)
LOL ....I must say, even as a child, I loved vegetables, but for some reason I have always abhorred marrow, so hence my slight dislike :) of marrow fritters.
Marrow fritters
Popeye would have loved a serving of these....
Spinach fritter
Have you ever heard a Bajan refer to corn beef as "crushed cow in a can?".........the things Bajans say.......
Corn beef fritters
I am not a huge fan of pumpkin either but funny enough I simply love pumpkin fritters. I guess it is hard to deny pumpkin after you add cinnamon, nutmeg and a dash of sugar. Yummy! 
Pumpkin fritters
Same goes for sweet corn. I mean, you just know how delicious they will be once you see that crisp caramelization thingy happen :)
Speaking of which, these corn fritters I made on Sunday were so crunchy and delectable. My children always beg me to make these. They really are soo sweet and good.

Now is an opportune time to add that fritters are not a food you would want to have on a daily basic. They are very rich in starch and sugar. Ever so often, they are absolute heaven. However, if you find them convenient or economical then you can health them up by just glazing your pan with oil or by baking/grilling  instead of frying. You might also want to use more vegeatbles than flour or add onions and bell pepper. AND always be sure to drain them on paper napkins before enjoying.
SO wish you could taste these....
Night night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for bush

Bush Tea

Breadfruit ...... So Many Ways