Gooseberries!

If you have never eaten gooseberries you are seriously missing out...
check out my daughter "enjoying" these sour delicacies...lol


The gooseberry most common here Barbados is the Amlak gooseberry. 

The fruit grow in compact clusters making for abundant harvests......YES!!!!!


This particular variety of gooseberry is known as the lucky tree in Thailand and is called star gooseberry.
The Indians produce an excellent oil from the seed for the hair called Amla Oil. It works wonders for softening and darkening hair.

In fact,  some of you may be reading and thinking these are not gooseberrie and indeed they are not the gooseberyy common to more temperate zones. In fact I do have an actual gooseberry shrub which I purchased at Agrofest some two years ago. Notice the difference!


But....back to the gooseberries in the house!
My sister called yesterday from her sis-in-law's wanting to know how could she use up a bumper crop. Well needless to say my first suggestion was ........SEND THEM TO ME!!!...
As a child we had our very own gooseberry tree and I loved it. Sadly, it was cut down and today it is so rare to spot a gooseberry tree that whenever I do, I march right up to the house and ask to kindly pay and pick a few. This nice lady once told me to bring someone to climb the tree and I could have as many as I wanted because she had no-one to pick them....... SWEET ISLAND LIVING!

Lucky me today...... sis-in-law did send me a tonne.........




The children have been eating them like crazy with salt (my favourite way) until their mouths are sore...lol
And I did promise the sweet mout' niece stewed gooseberry (another great way to enjoy this fruit).
SO look out for those pics and recipe of stewed berries. Til then be safe, eat well and live fully.

For nutritional information check out this link and may you be lucky enough to find a tree in the near future.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1902/2





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for bush

Bush Tea

Breadfruit ...... So Many Ways