Ken's City Garden

 I always seem to find the gardeners in any neighbourhood I move into. Maybe I can smell the dirt under their skins as well! My neighbour Ken (I mean he lives in my neighbourhood, not next door...lol) is one such person. Ken has the garden of my dreams! 
 Ken has a huge 600 ft garden and what's especially impressive about that is the fact that it's smack dab in the middle of urban Barbados AND Kens works a full time job. Ken practices crop rotation and unless he is resting his soil, his garden is always such a beauty to look forward to in passing. He sells his produce in and around the neighbourhood old school style walking door to door with a tray on Sunday mornings. It always takes me back to my childhood days in the country where a constant feature of our Sunday mornings was someone passing by selling home grown lettuce fresh for the day's lunch salad. He also retails juices made from the herbs and fruits in the garden and I must tell you, his passion fruit juice is amazing. He has a special trick, which I will definitely not share with you (lol), that produces the silkiest, thickest, sweetest passion fruit juice you could ever drink.
 Well just this morning, Ken stopped by inviting me over for some beet and broccoli greens and I decided to take my camera along. 
Ken, an extremely talented and humble man.

Hope you enjoy the visit as much as I did.








Love these large zinnias and you know coleuses are a favourite of mine. It's always important to add flowers to your veggie garden to attract helpful insects and birds.

"Walls" of spinach and passion fruit maximise growing space.  



How beautiful is this garden?

















Rows of carrots under okra plants.
A few years ago I suggested to Ken that he could grow a whole lot more than he currently was by  inter-planting smaller crops between larger ones, now he's sold on the idea!
                             
          



A chili variety, scotch bonnet peppers and sweet potatoes with tomatoes
 
Ken gently reaping those beet greens.

 I have no idea how Ken is able to grow such beautiful lettuce in this brutal dry season but I am so thankful because lettuce is extremely scare right now and I miss my daily salads!





Ken also has a few fruit trees and a healthy compost area.



Pomegranate 
What scrumptuous looking compost.....all the garden mess plus animal manure 
Patch of young papayas
OOPS forgot to photograph the huge lime tree!

I love that Ken;s garden has a bit of everything including my passion, herbs!
Vervain 
 

                                             St John's Wort
Cilantro/Coriander
Scattered thru the garden you will find patches of tarragon, basil, mint, lemongrass, celery, fennel and this delightful smelling sage that I have never seen before but it is so lovely both to view and smell. Of course Ken gifted me with some and offered more when I am ready to replant my garden for the summer.


Needless to say, I had a most enjoyable time this morning and even came home with three bottles of passion fruit drink! I left Ken settling in for a day's work in the garden since he is off and I hope you day is as productive as his is.
Live well and be good to each other people. Oh and have a great weekend.









Comments

  1. susan this garden is amazing. everything looks so plush and organized. how does he care for a garden this size and not get overwhelmed?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right Key.What's even more amazing is that he works a full time job, a part time job and we have been having a brutal dry season! He composts and i guess healthy soil does make the difference.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. $$$ Loan apply now with 3% interest rate for more details $$$
    Are you looking for a Loan to enlarge your business? Do you need loan to pay off your debt and start a new life? You have come to the right place were we offer Loans at a very low interest rate of 3%. Interested people/company should please contact us via email for more details and get funded.
    Email: shadiraaliuloancompany1@gmail.com

    Application For loan.
    First Name:
    Last Name:
    Date Of Birth:
    Address:
    Sex:
    Phone No:
    City:
    Zip Code:
    State:
    Country:
    Nationality:
    Occupation:
    Monthly Income:
    Amount Needed:
    Duration:
    Purpose of the loan:
    E-mail address:

    Email: shadiraaliuloancompany1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for bush

Bush Tea

Breadfruit ...... So Many Ways