Bajan Bittle

When was the last time you heard the word bittle? As a child growing up in agricultural St. George in the 70s, that word was used more than breakfast, lunch or dinner to describe food. I think it was used almost as term of endearment or a source of annoyance by my brother Michael, who would always inquire about his bittle in the evenings! much to my mother's dislike. She would always tell him to speak better as a young man in school.
Almost unused these days, the word is traced back to the English surname Biddle which over time evolved into Bittle. I can only wonder as to why this family's name became synonymous with food. You can view the family's coat-of-arms here http://www.houseofnames.com/bittle-coat-of-arms.

But to the topic at hand. BAJANS LOVE FOOD! I mean seriously. There is the local joke that if you want people to turn up to any event just tell them food will be served. I also grew up hearing very true stories of men travelling with suits in their cars on Saturdays looking for a wedding procession to follow to the reception! To their advantage, the island is so small, they were bound to find someone they knew who could vouch for them. So bearing our love of food in mind, I wanted to share some of the tasty bittle I have prepared over the years.

 Starting with some traditional Sunday bittle



While it is the norm to eat pigeon peas EVERY Sunday, I am not the norm :) and usually cook whatever I feel like eating. No plate is complete with just rice and peas tho. It MUST have salads, macaroni  pie, sweet potato pie and various meats. Some are stewed in gravies others naked or roasted. (I am not a big meat eater so my plate will not give an accurate account of the Bajan norm!)My mother once begged me not to tell anyone I cooked cou-cou on a Sunday. That's how serious Bajans take their Sunday bittle. 

She would have fainted had she known what I made last Christmas day.




BUT, I also LOVE vegetarian meals!




 Not to mention how much fish we Bajans cook.




 Anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I could easily eat Basmati rice daily, but unfortunately it is not practical or healthy? So I do cook ground provisions and I love vegetables cooked any which way
but I must admit I am FORCED to cook pasta. Whenever I prepare pasta it is only as a last resort mostly for time saving and I only LOVE soup on rainy days :). Unless it's fish soup which I make ever so often.




Of course I could not go without featuring our sweet dish......
COU COU with saltfish......
 always served at my house with pickled cucumbers and okras.....(so wishing I could eat this right now!!!)

In more recent times, yesterday I roasted this lovely "bird" and had with roasted veggies....yum. Have a good night people..... off to some reading, school started today.


 Maybe Mavis Beckles would be proud. http://www.nationnews.com/articles/view/mavis-beckles-good-bittle-out-o-style/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for bush

Bush Tea

Breadfruit ...... So Many Ways