Gifts from de hills

Today we headed up to St. John and St. Andrew to visit with Rastafarian brethren Ras Ilex and Ras Ils who live off the land. As usual we left with our hands and hearts filled. Over the next few days I'll feature the visits in more detail but fro now just check out how they blessed me today.


Basket of super big limes
The two chili peppers will be dried and seeds used for replanting.
Ilex just walked under two lime trees and picked these off the ground. You would not believe how many we left behind. everyone's pockets were filled.


Avocadoes and pineapples were also plentiful. Pineapples were literally underfoot. Everywhere you stepped was a pineapple plant.
Pumpkin and watermelon also compliments of Ilex. Squash also made the bag of gifts today.
Ras Ils climed atop his roof to pick me these moringa leaves and also blessed me with some beautiful amaranth which I will also be using for seeds.
And then to the mother load. You know the proverb "give a man a fish..." well I take that approach to plants. Instead of just taking for food, I love to take cuttings, seeds etc to ensure my own supply of goodness and I lucked out big time at Ras Ils. He has an enviable collection of Bajan bush. Herbs I have not seen in ages he has, herbs I have never seen I was introduced to. Ras Ils made my day with this bag of take aways for replanting.
Check the bloodroot. This is the real deal. I had never thought of it before, but the plant we know as bloodroot is a flower not a root! You never stop learning when it comes to herbs.

I could not believe it when Ras pulled this herb from the ground and a familiar scent filled the air...I can't believe I have a patchouli plant! I add patchouli to my dry skin care products and was in hog heaven with this find.

Other goodies in this bag include: wormwood, elderberry, wild basil, seed under leaf, jasmine, wild lavender, motherwort, horny goat weed, inflammation bush, nettle (yes more nettle), and many more which I cannot name at this point  :).
Look out tomorrow for my post on where these goodies came from. Night all.






Comments

  1. This is super magnificent. Wealth of information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Details on exact location where these herbs were found please

    ReplyDelete
  3. Details on exact location where these herbs were found please

    ReplyDelete
  4. Details on exact location where these herbs were found please

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi now seeing your request. Unfortunately I can't share that info since these are the homes of friends and not open public spaces. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for bush

Bush Tea

Breadfruit ...... So Many Ways