Bajan Bushman Ras Ils

Seems all last week my life revolved around bush. On Saturday, I received a call from a friend asking about pure water. I shared information then he got around to why he needed it. He had bought a cassia wood cup from a Rastafarian brethren living in the hills,a Ras Ils, and was advised to only use pure water from the cup. Well anyone who knows me know my interest was severely piqued and I had to request a visit to the Ras. Early Sunday morning, we headed out to St. John for what was to be a most informative trip.
Ras Ils lives in the hills as we Bajans call it, meaning he lives off-the-grid.
I have much admiration for persons like Ras Ils who have created liveable alternatives to wage slavery. He is indeed master of his own destiny. I consider this to be real wealth. He was fortunate enough to have land from his family to access but what he has made of it is so very impressive. Please look out for tomorrow's post on Ras Ils bush collection. It will blow your mind...I know I blew mine!

PS:I came home only to find I had taken over 300 photos, so I will tackle this post in two parts: the house and man and secondly the land and herbs.

The House

Barely visible from the gate

Up close...nice
View from the rear
Getting closer
The house has many cool features and areas, including......
Rain water catchment
Woven coconut leaf fences
 Outdoor storage sheds

Rugged greenhouse
Rustic made from the trees staircases :)

Tucked in storage areas
And some old time Bajan familiar home fixtures....dunk baskets and cooking hearths.






Ras Ils has struck gold in my opinion with his rental cottage which is a stones throw from his home. Of course he rents only to persons looking for a natural getaway. Very rustic yet fully outfitted with all the modern "wants"...hot water, internet access, fitted kitchen, two bedrooms and a view to die for, it is worth every cent of the $100 per night cost. I'm sure you'll agree.
 Guest House

 Dining/kitchen room

 WHAT A VIEW!!!!!
I will be in this hammock for my next vacation!
 Open air dining room..is the patio big enough for you?









I love an outdoor shower!



But back to the cups and the man who makes them :)...I am soo easily distracted!
 Made from the popular Bajan plant.......Cassia Wood
 With some of his jewelry,,,he's also a jeweler
 Ras Ils
This man's accomplishments way out weigh his humble appearance. He has travelled the world, representing Barbados on the cultural and herbal medicine front. He has also won numerous awards locally and despite all the accolades I am quite sure there are many more unsung praises from private individuals whose lives he has touched.
Schooling us on the many herbs in his yard

 It is my earnest dream to one day live such a free and abundant life. Keep your fingers crossed for me :). 
Bye y'all. have a great one whatever you do.

Comments

  1. Wow...very interesting. Thanks for posting. I've often heard my grandmother talk about the Rasta living in the hills but that's all I knew. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome. They are the most hospitable people you will ever fond. Any time you are driving in the far country and see flags off in the hills, that is usually a sign of a commune of some kind. Drop in, you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intriguing!! I would like to visit perhaps you can organize a tour for a select appreciative group (including me of course!!) I'm also very much interested in booking a getaway there (do they accommodate children ages 8-12?) they need a reality check and the unique experience of life with out industrialized luxuries. Humbled by this post & giving thanks Suzanne for your foresight to share.Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey miss shernell...i am now seeing this as i get ready to blog again ........i will definitely give Ras Ils a call and get back to your for sure. I know that persons like Yvette, Ronan, etc would also be interested. Will email you next week. enjoy your hols you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I am wondering if Ras Ils is still alive, whether he is contactable online or phone?. I'm here in bimshire till 19th April 2017 on my hols and would love to meet him and get some herbs. I heard a rumour he passed recently. I hope this is untrue. Thanks Jai

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi so sorry I missed you. now received this message. If you can send me an email address I can send you Ras ils number.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there. I'd love to connect with Ras. I have a group coming to town and would love to see about booking time for him to speak to herbal health, Barbados culture, etc. Please do let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for bush

Bush Tea

Breadfruit ...... So Many Ways