The Bajan Chattel House

Three gabled chattel house.......beautifully maintained.
I love chattel houses. I view them with equal amounts of admiration and envy. I often openly declare that any house I build will definitely be from wood and include features of the chattel house. Now ridiculed as the house of choice for the poor, the chattel house's design is ideal for our climate and to me personally, possess more charm and character than any structure built of cement. 
On typically hot days their pointed and "louvred" roofs keep rooms cool.
Shutter windows allow dwellers to see out but maintain privacy. And do you remember the doors that could be opened in halves just like the windows? You pushed the top half open with a prop stick while the other half remained latched!

 I remember as a child laying in bed many a night listening to the boards of our home creak as they shrunk once again after a days beating from the sun. I also loved to look up close at the wood patterns glossing beneath the varnished floor boards. You must admit a wooden house does have a certain appeal. The house I live in is wooden and my neighborhood has a pretty "cute" collection as you see, from very old to modern variations and I enjoy them all. Maybe you will too.
I love chattel houses in "pretty" colours :)



















Love the reverse of colors used by these neighbours!There is nothing quite as visually appealing as a row of wooden houses in all colours.


But I really do love the old chattel houses!
The layout of door and windows always reminds me of faces!
No matter how old (check the galvanised roof) they still have great character.
And don't they always have names....I love it all!
 Love this old grand one.







ENJOY.....

 ROYAL!







So many details, intricacies and colours. I love that some owners seem to take such pride in maintaining these homes. There really is nothing more stately than a well kept chattel house. I'll leave you with a peak at my wooden space. Happy Sunday.

For the history of chattel houses see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattel_house

Comments

  1. I have been to your wonderful island several times starting with a vacation with some of my buddies in 1978 and later with my father. On all occasions I have been completely satisfied with my experiences.
    I have recently (2 times in the last 3 years) returned to your island paradise with my wife who had never been there and we have had 2 very satisfactory vacations in conjunction with a group of folks who were drawn to the Barbados Darts Festival, a competition organized by a British fellow, Michael Heal.
    Not being a dart thrower my wife is absorbed by the island culture and history which begets this comment. In our tourist travels around the island I have noticed and become quite a fan of the chattel houses you so fondly discuss and I am wondering if you could tell me what the little spires are for on some of the peaks of the chattel house gables are for?
    We will be going again in November 2014 and are sure to have another wonderful time.
    Thank you,
    Steven T. Repucci
    srepucci@analogic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry Steven, I am now seeing this question. As far as I have knowledge, the spires are purely decorative, some have spires, some don't. They imitate the Victorian style barge board which typically trims a gable roof. The exact piece you speak of is called the finial and is just for added detailing. Hope this helps and here's hoping for a great trip come Nov 2014.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for bush

Bush Tea

Breadfruit ...... So Many Ways