Breadfruit ...... So Many Ways

I have a confession to make.
In 2005 when I returned to Barbados, I ate breadfruit every week! Well, to be perfectly honest I ate breadfruit multiple times a week. Yes, I was overdosing on breadfruit. Reason being it was so hard to get the real fresh deal in NYC. Breadfruits do not travel well! Eight years later, we still love breadfruit. Much to my delight they are easy to come by all year round and are absolutely free. EVERYBODY knows somebody who has a breadfruit tree. Breadfruit is so very versatile and easy to cook.
SO, today I bring you all things breadfruit.


My neighbour's tree
Beautiful baby breadfruit and leaves too.




Sunbathing
Once we get one of these babies home, the options are endless. I steam it, fry it, mash it, bake it, roast it, recycle it and.... my nephew Jamaal Bowen, even makes cocktails with it!







Steamed with buljol.....xxxxxxx







The next day leftovers become chips


Baked with a layer of salt fish (salted cod). My dear friend Mechelle Greenidge was the first to introduce me to breadfruit this way. She was making this back in the 80s and calling it breafruit oh la la!!! 

BUT, in a category all by itself is roast breadfruit. 

 

We cut a portion from the top and remove the heart. We butter the inside and add salt fish. Others use salt beef or pork. 

After roasting in a wood fire, out comes....heaven.


      I love to roast breadfruit on the beach....at night. A perfect Bajan twist on a bonfire.



Our two even had their own kiddie version.....



Later this evening I'll be posting Jamaal's Breadfruit Punch recipe along with a little feature on the man himself ...... after all, he is Bim's top mixologist!

Hope you had fun and were even inspired to roast a breadfruit today.



   






Comments

  1. After this food in Spain for the past two weeks, you have my mouth watering! I would eat some breadfruit, any style, right now! Missing home....

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol......that's the feeling I want Bajans abroad to get...hehhe wicked me.......hope you are enjoying your wind down before the storm

    ReplyDelete
  3. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for bush

Bush Tea