Hidden Treasure #1

For an island a mere 166 sq miles, you think it would be easy to run out of new places to discover....but that is most certainly not the case in Barbados. There are so many what I call hidden treasures still unexplored by most locals. Today I want to introduce you to Turner's Hall Woods. I stumbled upon this treasure while reading Wild Plants of Barbados by Sean Carrington. This location was mentioned repeatedly as the only site for locating certain plants. I knew I had to go. So I drummed up interest in my schools's Environmental Club and off we went one morning accompanied by old school colleague and environmental scientist Leroy Coppin. It was such a great experience I had to return with the home troupe a few weeks later.

Here are some photos of our trek to this St. Andrew treasure.


An old sight.....don't know when last I saw someone tending to sheep in a pasture!



 What a trek.....what a view!!!



 Almost there. A view of the famous East Coast.

Once in the woods, you are just overcome with such serenity and peace. It is amazing the moment you step foot into a wooded area how quiet it gets. Nothing but chirping birds and rustling leaves. Heat gives way to such coolness it should be bottled and the beauty of nature is all you can focus on. It was hard to believe we were still in Barbados. It was perfection!








We smelt gas ever so often as we neared the end of the trail and stumbled upon a NPC petroleum site nearby. We learned that the area has potential for natural gas!


 And came across an abandoned pipe line from Barbados of yesteryear.



Of course I went for the flora and I was not disappointed either visit. Here are a few finds of interest.

Seeds used for jewelry making.

Wild hops

I love these delicately patterned leaves


Ferns,a shade staple


Like that someone started the process of identifying the trees and plants.



Most palms were coated in spikes...yikes!!!!!


But hey, please don't take my word for it. Head out and do some exploring of your own. A hike like this sure beats the gym for a full body workout and the ambiance is so much better. Pack up the lil ones, some water, dress sensibly and hit the road. You can't get lost, after all ya know country hospitality....the people in the village around the Woods are so very nice. It's worth the trip up to St. Andrew.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for bush

Bush Tea

Breadfruit ...... So Many Ways